After all my recent fitting and toiling, making this Sewaholic Belcarra blouse felt wonderful! I could enjoy taking my time getting a good finish as I knew I’d have a well fitting garment at the end of it.
The black one is actually my fourth Belcarra blouse – I made this third flowery version shortly after my second from a lovely viscose fabric brought on Goldhawk Road.
For the third Belcarra, I used a narrower bias strip and sewed it on using a 3/8 inch seam allowance to make the neckline a little smaller. It doesn’t feel like the neckline actually is any smaller, but I wonder if I had stretched the neckline out a little, so for the fourth version I made sure to stay stitch the neckline as soon as I’d cut out the fabric.
I also had a valuable lesson in paying attention when using scissors near fabric when I snipped some of the sleeve while trimming the french seam. Oops! Luckily, it was only small and near the underarm so just took a little darning and isn’t really visible.
The only niggle I have with the third version is that the fold on the cuffs doesn’t want to lie flat after washing. I suspect this could mean that I didn’t cut the fabric exactly on the bias. Hence for this fourth Belcarra, I really took my time over the cutting.
The fabric for the black Belcarra is my first online fabric purchase – this viscose from Minerva Crafts. It is wonderfully soft and drapey and it comes in twelve other colours so I’ll no doubt be ordering more soon.
I had thought about going for the pin tuck sleeves version since I was using a solid colour, but a plain and simple (but well made) black top was what I really wanted. Perhaps not the most exciting blog make, but a top I am very pleased with and one that should get lots of wear 🙂