As I was so happy with my first Sewaholic Belcarra blouse, it wasn’t long before I made a second one:
This time I used cotton lawn (from Goldhawk Road), so it doesn’t drape as much as my first viscose version but it still looks ok and is great to wear in the hot weather we’ve been having in London lately.
While shopping for the fabric, I was choosing between a few lovely (but very colourful and busy) cotton lawn prints and so decided to step out of the shop for a little breather while I debated the look I wanted. But then as I was leaving the shop, I noticed this fabric by the door – pretty unassuming in comparison to the others, but I was drawn to it (and it didn’t hurt that it was a lot cheaper!). I decided to go for this one as a trial run since I wasn’t sure how much I’d like the look of the top in cotton. However, I’m now very glad I went with this simple print as it is so easy to wear. I’ve also noticed that I don’t have many light coloured tops, so this is a welcome addition to my wardrobe.
Must try to remember to give plain and simple fabrics fair consideration on future fabric shopping trips!
Since it is a simple print I thought it would be a good one to try out the shoulder pin tucks of view B. I like how this detail adds a bit more interest to the top.
Adjustments wise, I narrowed the neckline and broadened the shoulders as with my first Belcarra and I shortened the front by 1.5cm (gently curving to meet the original hem line in the back) so it sits better on me.
Not too much to say about the construction as it was straightforward the second time around. There was a bit of unpicking when I realised I’d folded to a seam notch instead of a tuck notch on my first shoulder, but luckily the holes from the incorrect stitching line pretty much disappeared with a bit of steam pressing . As with my first version I found the cuffs a bit tricky to insert, but this is definitely getting easier with practice.
My first two Belcarras are getting a good amount of wear, so there could be another one soon…